The line from Jalandhar City to Mukerian was constructed in 1915. The Mukerian-Pathankot line was built in 1952. The construction of the Pathankot-Jammu Tawi line was initiated in 1965, after the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, and opened in 1971.
Chakki Bank Railway Station was renamed Pathankot Cantonment Railway Station in 2013. Electrification work of the Jalandhar-Jammu line is on. As of 2010-11, around 100 km had been electrified. As of 2013, electrification was expected to be completed in about a year.