1) Naming diesel locomotives based on their power output, started only in 2002. Prior to that, the last digit in the locomotive class name represented the chronological order of the introduction of the locomotive. In 2002, the naming scheme was changed to represent the output power. But the WDP1 loco and all the shunters were exempt from the naming scheme. Since the WDM6 and the WDM7 are mainly used as shunters, they were not renamed.
For example, WDM1 was a BG, mixed-use diesel loco, and the first mainline diesel loco introcduced, hence... more...
the suffix '1' at the end. Similarly, WDM2 was the second, WDM3 (NOT the present day WDM3A, WDM3 were a different class of locos homed only at Gooty in SCR) the third, WDM4 the fourth and so on.
In that sequence, WDM6 was the 6th mixed-use mainline diesel locomotive. It was designed in the early 1980's, long before the naming scheme was changed. So it was named thus.
2) It is rated at 1350HP. They were constructed by using the YDM4 (the main metre gauge diesel loco) powerpack on BG bogies.
3) They were intended to haul short commuter trains in suburban areas along with light shunting. Hence the WDM class. However, MEMU's and DEMU's quickly came around and did the job better than these locos. So these just handle shunting jobs now.
There are quite a few 6000+ HP diesel locos in the world. Both EMD and GE produced 6000+ HP locomotives for a long time and they were operated in the US. China too has operated high powered diesel locos.
New Delhi :-Railways has released a list of 392 Pooja Special trains for the festival season, these trains are starting from today. According to the Indian Railways, these trains will run till 30 November. These festival special trains will run from Kolkata, Patna, Varanasi, Lucknow and Delhi to cater to the...
São Paulo's Butantan Institute, one of Brazil's leading biomedical research centers, which is carrying out the Phase 3 tests, said the two-dose vaccine, called CoronaVac, proved to be safe in a trial so far involving 9,000 volunteers. ...
With the All India Railwaymen's Federation (AIRF) observing "Bonus Day" today demanding the government grant productivity bonus for the year 2019-20, the Railway Ministry asked its field offices to ensure smooth functioning of its network. ...
In the next few days, we shall introduce a "Personal Gallery". This will consist of your own personal pics - no restrictions. You can upload any number of pics to your personal gallery - with with or without trains.
This personal gallery will be part of your Member Profile.
As our Topics & Quiz section gains popularity, the following change will be made to Quizzes.
Starting tomorrow, we shall not reveal the names of people who answered correctly/incorrectly. You will still know how many answered the quiz and the percentage of wrong/right responses. But ONLY the person who answered will know...
Today, we are introducing a new Topic called NEWS-CRITIC.
These days, everyday, we are bombarded with spam news, exaggerated news, misleading news, fake news, useless celebrity news, click bait with misleading headlines, etc. Also, much of the news is copied and rewritten from other news outlets, instead of being written first-hand. Everyone...
Over the last few days, there have been concerns expressed by many members that politics are being discussed. Well, with 90% of the trains NOT running over the last 3 months, there is not much rail-fanning happening!!! People have to discuss something. Mature political discussions are allowed in the Topics section,...
To help with the issue of mass tagging of members, we shall soon be expanding the RF Club feature to Pvt Clubs:
1. Any member will be able to create a Pvt Club and invite other members to join. Joining of any Club is voluntary - members cannot be forced to join...
For the last 2 days, I have been putting up some quizzes in the Topics section, with the following design:
1. Each quiz starts with a statement.
2. Then a question, followed by 4-6 choices.
3. AFTER a member makes a choice, all the other choices are revealed, along with the creator's choice and...
Important Note:This website NEVER solicits for Money or Donations. Please beware of anyone requesting/demanding money on behalf of IRI. Thanks. Disclaimer: This website has NO affiliation with the Government-run site of Indian Railways. This site does NOT claim 100% accuracy of fast-changing Rail Information. YOU are responsible for independently confirming the validity of information through other sources.