FASTags was introduced in the year 2016, which enable electronic payment of fee at toll plazas.
On Thursday, Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari said that India will do away with toll booths. Also, within one year, the implementation of GPS-based toll collection will be completed, he said. The Union Minister further said 93 per cent of the vehicles pay toll using FASTag. However, but the remaining 7 per cent of vehicles have still not taken FASTag despite paying a double toll, he mentioned. During Question Hour in the
Yes on 2020 it was a 2 year deadline and now 1 year
The implementation of the GPS-based tolling system is a step further, with the toll charge set to be deducted based on the movement of vehicles. This will help ensure that users only pay for the distance covered, irrespective of the highways
Copy-paste from Economic times 2019 article
You took it in different way , I guess this meant that say there is a single toll between BPL - NDLS AT GWL .
In present situation if someone goes from BPL to NDLS then also he has to pay the same fare and if someone goes from JHS to Agra then also same fare which is not fair to the JHS to agra travellers.
And by this GPS based system , I guess JHS agra travellers will pay less then bhopal delhi passengers
Many a times fastag holders despite having valid balance are forced to pay double as there are issues with card readers, and sometimes balance gets deducted but no receipt is shown, forcong people to go from pillar to pole to get refund.
Another major issue is no return pass, people who use NH to commute daily have to pay both ways.
Yes you are right, but it also means that even if you travel in present non toll highways, based on the distance you have to pay
This is clear from the last sentence "Irrespective of Highways"
Anybody from Karnataka will get clarity easily for this