Fourteen coaches of a high-speed Utkal Express on Saturday jumped the rails, with one of them crashing into a house adjacent to the track near Khatauli this evening, claiming at least 23 lives and leaving a large number of passengers injured. (Photo: PTI) 2/10 0 The accident occurred around 5.45 pm near Khatauli town in this district and left 23 people dead and over 60 injured, the Uttar Pradesh Police said. Khatauli is around 40 km from Muzaffarnagar. Posses of PAC, ATS and NDRF teams, as also sniffer dog squads, were rushed to the spot to carry out rescue operations. (Photo: PTI) 3/10 0 Railway ministry officials in Delhi, however, put the number of dead at 12. The train was coming from Puri in Odisha and going to Haridwar in Uttarakhand, normally a journey of about 36 hours. (Photo: AFP) 4/10... more...
0 Heavyweight cranes and gas cutters were being used to lift or cut the mangled remains of the coaches and extricate passengers stuck inside. Large number of local people and villagers were also seen helping out those engaged in the rescue work. (Photo: AFP) 5/10 0 The coaches damaged were S1 to S10 sleeper class, third AC B1, second AC A1 coach and the pantry. Muzaffarnagar authorities have set up a control room to assist families of those affected. The numbers are: 0131- 2436918, 0131-2436103 and 0131-2436564. (Photo: PTI) 6/10 0 Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed extreme pain over the derailment and said the Railway Ministry and the state government were doing everything possible and providing all assistance required. He said the situation was being monitored very closely by the Railways Ministry. At least 10 passenger trains on the busy route were diverted following the accident, a Northern Railway release said. (Photo: PTI) 7/10 0 Two National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams, comprising 45 personnel each, and two canines have been mobilised to the accident site from their base in Ghaziabad. Medical vans have also been rushed to the site. (Photo: PTI) 8/10 0 Two National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams, comprising 45 personnel each, and two canines have been mobilised to the accident site from their base in Ghaziabad. Medical vans have also been rushed to the site. (Photo: PTI) 9/10 0 Meanwhile, Railways spokesperson Anil Saxena said, "Initially, we thought that it was only 4-5 coaches, now we have ascertained that 14 coaches have derailed. As of now our focus is on rescue and not on finding reasons for the accident." (Photo: AP) 10/10 0 Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath enquired about the accident and directed officials to take all possible action, an official spokesperson said. Adityanath has directed two of his ministers -- Suresh Rana and Satish Mahana -- to reach the site to expedite rescue and relief operations. (Photo: PTI)
Several coaches of the Haridwar-bound Kalinga-Utkal Express derailed near Khatauli in Muzaffarnagar district of Uttar Pradesh. Stay with TOI for latest updates. Key Highlights Helpline numbers: 94106 09434, 0121-260497707:18 PM (IST) Live UpdatesFILTER UPDATESText and SocialPhotosVideos 7 mins ago Latest visuals from the accident site Follow ANI UP ✔ @ANINewsUP #Muzaffarnagar train derailment, latest #visuals from site: 23 dead in mishap; injured being given medical aid; NDRF teams at the spot. 11:12 PM - Aug 19, 2017 5... more...
5 Replies 19 19 Retweets 19 19 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 27 mins ago West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee condoles loss of lives "Deaths due to accidents pain us all. Condolences to families who lost loved ones. Safety must always be No.1 priority of Indian Railways," she said in a tweet. 42 mins ago Railway minister Suresh Prabhu: Rescue operations are completed and all injured have been shifted to hospital. The restoration work will begin now. Still monitoring situation closely 10:02 PM (IST) The following trains have been diverted after the accident: * The 14681 New Delhi – Jalandhar Intercity journey commencing on 19.8.17 has been diverted to run via Ghaziabad, Kurukshetra – Ambala and will be short terminated at Ambala. * The 12055 New Delhi – Dehradun Janshatabdi Express journey commencing on 19.8.17 has been diverted to run via Hapur – Moradabad – Dehradun. * The 14645 Delhi Jn. – Jammu Tawi Shalimar Express journey commencing on 19.8.17 has been diverted to run via Ghaziabad -Kurukshetra – Ambala . * The 12903 Mumbai Central – Amritsar Golden Temple Mail journey commencing on 18.8.17 has been diverted to run via New Delhi -Kurukshetra – Ambala. * The 18237 Bilaspur – Amritsar Chhatisgarh Express journey commencing on 18.8.17 has been diverted to run via New Delhi - Kurukshetra – Ambala. * The 12205 New Delhi – Dehradun Nanda Devi Express journey commencing on 19.8.17 has been diverted to run via Shamli - Tapri. * The 12018 Dehradun – New Delhi Shatabdi Express journey commencing on 19.8.17 has been diverted to run via Shamli –New Delhi. * The 19020 Dehradun – Bandra Terminus Dehradun Express journey commencing on 19.8.17 has been diverted to run via Shamli – H. Nizamuddin. * The 19032 Haridwar – Ahmedabad Yoga Express journey commencing on 19.8.17 has been diverted to run via Shamli – Delhi Shahdra – Delhi. * The 14512 Saharanpur – Allahabad Nauchandi Express journey commencing on 19.8.17, will remain partially cancelled between Saharanpur – Meerut City. The 14512 will short originate from Meerut City for its onward journey to Allahabad on 19.8.17. 09:54 PM (IST) Read: Railways, UP govt doing everything possible to help, says PM Modi Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed extreme pain over the derailment of Utkal Express in Uttar Pradesh and said the railway ministry and the state government were doing everything possible and providing all assistance required. 09:49 PM (IST)) Several killed after Utkal Express derails near Muzaffarnagar, rescue ops underway 09:28 PM (IST) 23 killed, 40 injured in train derailment, confirms UP police: ANI 09:16 PM (IST) Have spoken to railway minister Suresh Prabhu and the UP health minister. Centre is ready to provide all the support JP Nadda, Health minister 09:14 PM (IST) CM Yogi Adtiyanath has announced Rs 2 lakh for the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for those injured 09:11 PM (IST) Utkal Express victims have been taken to LLRM medical college, Meerut. 08:47 PM (IST) President Ram Nath Kovind expresses grief at loss of lives in the Khatauli train accident 08:44 PM (IST) 11 now confirmed dead, over 60 injured: Prashant Kumar, ADG (Meerut) 08:43 PM (IST) 14 coaches derailed, cause of accident yet to be ascertained Anil Saxena, Spokesperson, Railways 08:37 PM (IST)) Watch: 14 coaches of Utkal-Kalinga Express derail in UP's Muzaffarnagar 08:37 PM (IST) Railway minister announces ex-gratia of Rs 3.5 lakh for kin of dead, Rs 50,000 for the seriously injured and Rs 25,000 for those with minor injuries: ANI 08:33 PM (IST) Passengers of Utkal-Kalinga Express sent to Haridwar by road 08:32 PM (IST) Utkal Express derailment: IMA Meerut unit to treat all victims for free in private hospitals: Dr. Veerottam Tomar, President, IMA Meerut 08:30 PM (IST) Track repair work was underway on the stretch where accident happened: ANI UP quoting sources 08:18 PM (IST) 10 killed in Muzaffarnagar train derailment, ADG Law and Order (Muzaffarnagar) confirms 08:17 PM (IST) Follow Office of RG ✔ @OfficeOfRG Shocked to know about the unfortunate accident of Utkal Express in Muzaffarnagar. My thoughts with the families who lost their loved ones 8:14 PM - Aug 19, 2017 296 296 Replies 1,133 1,133 Retweets 2,491 2,491 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 08:16 PM (IST) Follow PMO India ✔ @PMOIndia Extremely pained by the derailment of the Utkal Express in Muzaffarnagar. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased: PM 8:08 PM - Aug 19, 2017 484 484 Replies 1,159 1,159 Retweets 4,033 4,033 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 08:14 PM (IST) Follow PMO India ✔ @PMOIndia Railways Ministry & UP Government are doing everything possible & providing all assistance required in the wake of the train derailment: PM 8:10 PM - Aug 19, 2017 564 564 Replies 1,026 1,026 Retweets 4,372 4,372 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 08:13 PM (IST) Two UP ministers are reaching the spot. Relief and rescue being carried out at war footing Yogi Adityanath, CM, UP 08:07 PM (IST) View image on Twitter Follow Ministry of Railways ✔ @RailMinIndia Emergency help line no for detail information #TrainAccident 7:55 PM - Aug 19, 2017 35 35 Replies 605 605 Retweets 457 457 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 08:06 PM (IST) Four dead in Muzaffarnagar train derailment confirms Anil Saxena, ADG Railways: ANI 08:04 PM (IST) View image on Twitter Follow ANI UP ✔ @ANINewsUP More than 50 injured. ATS sent there as precautionary measure, no confirmation of terrorism angle: Anand Kumar, ADG Law&Order #Muzaffarnagar 8:01 PM - Aug 19, 2017 Replies 26 26 Retweets 24 24 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 07:55 PM (IST) View image on Twitter Follow ANI UP ✔ @ANINewsUP I have seen few dead bodies, can't say the exact number, many injured. Manoj Sinha ji has left from Delhi: Sanjeev Balyan #Muzaffarnagar MP 7:49 PM - Aug 19, 2017 6 6 Replies 28 28 Retweets 42 42 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 07:53 PM (IST) At least 10 killed, 150 injured in Uttar Pradesh train derailment: Reuters quoting government official 07:52 PM (IST) Odisha CM announces ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh for kin of deceased and Rs 50,000 for injured 07:49 PM (IST) 9 PAC Companies issued orders to immediately reach Khatauli in Muzaffarnagar to help in relief and rescue operations. 07:40 PM (IST) Follow ANI UP ✔ @ANINewsUP #Muzaffarnagar train derailment: Visuals from the spot. 7:20 PM - Aug 19, 2017 23 23 Replies 183 183 Retweets 155 155 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 07:36 PM (IST) MoS for Railways, Manoj Sinha to visit accident site with seniors officers: Suresh Prabhu via Twitter 07:31 PM (IST) UP ATS team to reach accident site 07:30 PM (IST) Emergency wards in Meerut district hospital and LLRM Medical College vacated for victims of train accident 07:28 PM (IST) View image on Twitter Follow UP POLICE ✔ @Uppolice #UtkalExpress मुज़फ्फरनगर ट्रेन एक्सीडेंट हेल्प लाइन नंबर #uppolice 6:57 PM - Aug 19, 2017 43 43 Replies 767 767 Retweets 782 782 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 07:27 PM (IST) Follow Suresh Prabhu ✔ @sureshpprabhu Have ordered inquiry into the unfortunate accident to ascertain the cause. Strict action will be taken against any lapse 7:12 PM - Aug 19, 2017 450 450 Replies 449 449 Retweets 1,738 1,738 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 07:18 PM (IST) Helpline numbers: 94106 09434, 0121-2604977 07:13 PM (IST) First NDRF team with 44 rescuers and 2 search dogs to reach derailment site in Muzaffarnagar's Khatauli: ANI 07:09 PM (IST) 4h Yogi Adityanath ✔ @myogiadityanath उत्तर प्रदेश के जनपद मुजफ्फरनगर में हुई ट्रेन दुर्घटना दुःखद। Follow Yogi Adityanath ✔ @myogiadityanath रेल हादसे में घायल यात्रियों का समुचित इलाज होगा, हर संभव मदद पहुंचाने के निर्देश दे दिए गए है। 7:02 PM - Aug 19, 2017 239 239 Replies 685 685 Retweets 2,819 2,819 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 07:08 PM (IST) 5h ANI UP ✔ @ANINewsUP The incident took place at 5:50 pm today; 5 coaches of the train have derailed, there could be injuries in this: Anil Saxena,Indian Railways pic.twitter.com/oV4VwfJerh Follow ANI UP ✔ @ANINewsUP No authentic information on casualties right now; trying our best to mobilize resources for rescue/relief ops: Anil Saxena, Indian Railways pic.twitter.com/hbNzmtbkRI 6:59 PM - Aug 19, 2017 4 4 Replies 8 8 Retweets 18 18 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 07:00 PM (IST)) 5 coaches of Kalinga-Utkal Express derail in UP's Muzaffarnagar 07:00 PM (IST) Have instructed Chairman Railway Board, Member Traffic to oversee rescue and relief operations Suresh Prabhu, Railway Minister 06:59 PM (IST) Railway minister Suresh Prabhu tweets about Khatauli accident Follow Suresh Prabhu ✔ @sureshpprabhu I am personally monitoring situation.Hv instructed senior officers to reach site immediately and ensure speedy rescue and relief operations click here 6:50 PM - Aug 19, 2017 169 169 Replies 402 402 Retweets 993 993 likes Twitter Ads info and privacy 06:55 PM (IST) Railway officials say accident occurred around 5:50 pm, 5 coaches derailed 06:49 PM (IST) Two coaches badly damaged in accident 06:46 PM (IST) NDRF teams mobilized for rescue operation at Khatauli railway station in Muzaffarnagar 06:31 PM (IST) One coach climbed atop another in the accident 06:30 PM (IST) Ambulances have reached accident site, injured being shifted to hospital. 06:29 PM (IST) Initial reports say 12 passengers injured in accident, efforts on to rescue passengers trapped inside coaches. From around the web More from The Times of India Recommended By Colombia VIEW COMMENTSPOST A COMMENT All Comments (27)+ Leave a comment… SORT Yolanda Roberts8871 Yolanda Roberts-5 hours ago More acche din coming. Wait till 2019. REPLY8 15 FLAG Sanjay Bhattacharya6139 Sanjay Bhattacharya-3 hours ago Terror angle should be investigated. It seems another work of cowards of ''religion of peace''. REPLY5 4 FLAG Sharmaneru87 Rajput7850 sharmaneru87 Rajput-Texas-3 hours ago Not surprise if some terrorist is behind this. REPLY4 3 FLAG Pramod Mishra2913 Pramod Mishra-40 mins ago The quick response for rescue and relief operations from State and Central govt is really appreciable REPLY1 0 FLAG Risa Sen177 Risa Sen-9 mins ago Railway is a big place of corruption. I thing same old type Comportment still using which increasing dead toll. REPLY0 0 FLAG Yolanda Roberts8871 Yolanda Roberts-1 hour ago All BJPigs are crying about 70 years of Congress. Railways is central ministry and Feku has ruled for more than 3 years. Vajpayee ruled for 6 years. How much time do BJPigs need to repair tracks? This blood is on Feku''s Hands. REPLY0 1 FLAG Harukisama841828 harukisama84-1 hour ago Man !! this railway minister has maximum no of such cases , Only tweet only tweet uff justfedup from this govt. REPLY0 0 FLAG Lasomani4023 lasomani-Location-1 hour ago The Philosophy of Governance which India has evolved taking into cognizance poor living conditions of the majority of population is : "Money dispels Grief instantly ". Therefore whether it is Rape or Death, the Government pays Cash to the Victim or the Victim''s family. It even calls the cash insensitively as Compensation. Therefore, by evening today, we may expect Cash Compensations to be announced, separately by the Central and State governments. How insensitive to grief has India''s ... Read More REPLY0 0 FLAG Mani16310 Mani-Chennai-1 hour ago We should check whether the driver was forced to drive under certain threat? It was daylight and the drivers are local people and they know very much about the situation. This must be probed in terror angle also. REPLY0 0 FLAG Siba Prasad12889 siba Prasad-BHUBANESWAR-1 hour ago Maximum number of accident during any govt. This shows govt incompetency. Modi govt never value the lives of people. Govt planning for bullet train to invest 1 lac Cr, where common man travel lives at stake and other side 40K Cr for safety to existing maintenance. This is really shocking. REPLY0 0 FLAG Mate Zoom542 Mate Zoom-1 hour ago railway minister should resign, media please wake nation is important REPLY0 0 FLAG Be U18847 Be U-For U-1 hour ago We people of country wants justice as accountability has to be fixed and should be adorn first by ra1l by not providing safety to people of the country travelling by train. Jai Hind.. REPLY0 0 FLAG Be U18847 Be U-For U-1 hour ago Enough term comes in mind on moving with advance programs as bullet train etc as we are not able to give proper safe service to our own people in normal conditions traveling in express train which runs at max speed at 70 km per hour. REPLY0 0 FLAG Be U18847 Be U-For U-1 hour ago Who will compensate for loss of innocent lives as people of the country needs justice not money as compensation and with so accountability has to be fixed. REPLY0 0 FLAG Be U18847 Be U-For U-1 hour ago Enough of give lame excuses as audit has to be done for ra1l tracks, machinates, functioning of signals and working method followed by ra1l authorities to come to conclusion as incident as such are happening very frequently and that too is on rise. REPLY0 0 FLAG Be U18847 Be U-For U-1 hour ago Judicial inquiry is much needed as accountability some one has to adorn as has to be fixed. REPLY0 0 FLAG Terry Lunga4499 terry lunga-2 hours ago this is how gov wwill keep all embroiled to cover its failure..prabhu should resign with yogi REPLY0 0 FLAG Terry Lunga4499 terry lunga-2 hours ago no doubt this is the handy work of rss chaddi to divert the attention from gorakhpur massacre, soon thee will blame utfit behind some fancy terror outfit behind this and yogi REPLY0 0 FLAG Lasomani4023 lasomani-Location-2 hours ago Utkal Express has a lower Booked Speed than the High Speed Trains which are being introduced over major routes. Will Satyanash not become Sawa-satyanash with this official sanction to run High Speed Trains on worn-out Tracks which are not fit for Low Speed Trains like Utkal Express, which Track cannot be renewed for paucity of funds because money-earning Freight Trains have stopped running to make room for loss - making Passenger Trains? REPLY0 0 FLAG Lakshmi Narayanan15434 Lakshmi Narayanan-2 hours ago Railway minister will conveniently blame sabotage. Order investigation n escape REPLY0 0 FLAG Jagdip Vaishnav22707 Jagdip Vaishnav-Mumbai-2 hours ago This accident appears to be "Sabotage" We can only pray God, please bestow wisdom to all. However Indian Railway ,since aware India is passing through crucial time, should take precautionary measures REPLY0 0 FLAG Lasomani4023 lasomani-Location-2 hours ago After every accident, regardless of who it is and regardless of which Party he represents in the Government, every Railway Minister issues a Statement "I have ordered the Commissioner of Railway Safety to investigate into this accident and submit his Report quickly". Some day, a Commiissioner of Railway Safety is going to blow up over the Minister''s announcement the announcement implies that he needs to be ordered to do the work which is Statutorily and exclusively his to perform. According ... Read More REPLY0 0 FLAG Sudhansusonali Sudhansusonali17141 Sudhansusonali Sudhansusonali-2 hours ago Very unfortunate and tragic incident. RIP for those lost their life. We pray for the good health of the survivors and injured. REPLY0 0 FLAG Lasomani4023 lasomani-Location-2 hours ago Accidents are not new to Railways. What is new is the pattern of accidents. In earlier times, accidents occurred with a distribution between various classifications of occurrences which Railways'' Rule Book treats as an accident. They are (in the order of seriousness of the occurrence) as Collision, Derailment , Signal passed at Danger with or without a consequent accident of Collision and other occurrences. Of these, Collision and Signal passed at Danger are almost entirely attributable to failure ... Read More REPLY0 0 FLAG Ashis16808 Truth Brahmandam-India-2 hours ago When a derailment happens in a communally sensitive place as Muzaffarnagar ... the question comes to mind .. "Was the administration careful Or was as careless as Gorakhpur?" REPLY0 0 FLAG Yolanda Roberts More acche din coming. Wait till 2019. REPLY Sanjay Bhattacharya Terror angle should be investigated. It seems another work of cowards of ''religion of peace''. REPLY Sharmaneru87 Rajput Not surprise if some terrorist is behind this.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed grief over the derailment of the Utkal Express in Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh. The Prime Minister informed that the situation is being monitored very closely, and that the Railways Ministry and UP Government are doing everything possible and providing all assistance required. “Extremely pained by the derailment of the Utkal Express in Muzaffarnagar. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased. I wish those injured a speedy recovery. The situation is being monitored very closely by the Railways Ministry. Railways... more...
Ministry and UP Government are doing everything possible and providing all assistance required in the wake of the train derailment”, the Prime Minister said.
Indian Railways is heralding in a new era vying for a turnaround in the system. To cater to the diverse rail needs of the burgeoning populace, an array of modern facilities and services are being inducted into the system progressively. With focus on key areas such as infrastructural development, cleanliness, safety and security, Indian Railways has embarked on a journey of transformation. In this direction, Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu Dedicated/ Inaugurated following initiatives pertaining to Tamil Nadu & Kerala through video-conferencing from Rail Bhawan today i.e. 19-08-17
1. Inauguration of additional rest room at new concourse at Chennai Central station (at Chennai Central Railway Station). 2. Dedication to the Nation-LED lighting at Chennai Central (at Chennai Central Railway Station). 3. Inauguration of new foot over bridge at Tiruvottiyur station (at Chennai Central Railway Station). 4. Inauguration of new booking office at western side of Guindy station (at Chennai Central Railway Station). 5. Inauguration of two escalators at Chepauk station on Platform no. 1 & 2 (at Chennai Central Railway Station). 6. Dedication to the nation-Hi speed Wi-fi facility at Chengalpattu Junction (at Chennai Central Railway Station). 7. Dedication to the Nation-Hi speed Wi-fi facility, Information Centre & CCTV Cameras at Katpadi Station. (at Chennai Central Railway Station). 8. Dedication to the Nation-food plaza at Arakkonam (at Chennai Central Railway Station). 9. Dedication to the Nation-App based cab service for passengers at Tiruchichirapalli junction station (at Tiruchchirappalli Junction Railway Station). 10.Dedication to the Nation-new parking facility for passengers at stations of Tiruchchirappalli Division (Papanasam, Mannargudi, Tiruchchirappalli Fort & Tiruchchirappalli Junction) (at Tiruchchirappalli Junction Railway Station). 11. Dedication to the Nation-doubling of Manapparai - Kalpattichatram Section (at Madurai Junction Railway Station). 12. Dedication to the Nation- 5 Limited Use Sub-ways in lieu of LC Gates no. 406, 491, 496, 536 & 14 in Madurai Division (at Madurai Junction Railway Station). 13. Dedication to the Nation-3 Foot Over Bridges at Sholavandan, Ambaturai and Samayanallur stations of Madurai Division (at Madurai Junction Railway Station). 14. Dedication to the Nation-New VIP Lounge at Salem Junction station (at Salem Junction Railway Station). 15. Dedication to the Nation-Extension of foot over bridge to the second entry of Salem Junction station (at Salem Junction Railway Station). 16. Dedication to the Nation- foot over bridge at Samalpatti station (at Salem Junction Railway Station).
Initiatives taken in Kerala
1. Inauguration of AC paid waiting hall at 2 stations Thiruvananthapuram and Quilon in association with Kudumbasree (at Thiruvananthapuram Railway Station). 2. Dedication to the Nation-foot over bridge at Kochuveli connecting both entry (at Thiruvananthapuram Railway Station). 3. Dedication to the Nation-10 concrete benches at Quilon Junction station funded by Hon’ble MP Shri Suresh Gopi through MPLAD (at Thiruvananthapuram Railway Station). 4. Dedication to the Nation-doubling of Tiruvalla-Chenganasseri section (at Ernakulam Junction Railway Station). 5. Inauguration of passenger lift at Chengannur Junction on Platform no. 1 (at Ernakulam Junction Railway Station). 6. Inauguration of one passenger lift at Ernakulam Junction on Platform no. 1 & 2 / 3 (at Ernakulam Junction Railway Station). 7. Dedication to the Nation-4 Water Vending Machines at 3 stations of Thiruvananthapuram Division (Ernakulam Junction-1, Ernakulam Town-2 and Aluva-1) (at Ernakulam Junction Railway Station). 8. Inauguration of 2 lifts at Kannur station on Platform no. 1, 2 / 3 (at Kannur Railway Station).
Mohd Jamshed, Member Traffic, Railway Board, other Railway Board Members and senior officials were also present on the occasion.
Speaking on the occasion, Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu said, “Indian Railways has been focussing on providing better passenger amenities & augmenting capacity. There has been tremendous increase in the budget allocation for building Railway Infrastructure in states of Tamil Nadu & Kerala. Indian Railways is aiming at building better Railways for everyone by participation of all.”
Salient Features of Projects launched today
At Chennai Central Railway Station (Tamil Nadu) 1) Inauguration of Additional Rest Room at New concourse at Chennai Central Station-
The Pay & Use Toilet in new concourse of Chennai Central has been renovated at cost of Rs. 60 Lakhs with state-of-the art amenities. The concept wall in the frontage gives a pleasing ambience to the facility.
2) Dedication to the Nation – LED Lighting at Chennai Central Station-
A total of 2388 nos. of conventional lights of various wattages have been replaced with 2402 nos. of energy efficient LED lights of various wattages. Facilitated at a cost of Rs.50 lakh, these energy efficient lighting will result in reduction in carbon emission of 262 MT per year, savings to the tune of 60 lakh units and Rs.60 lakh per month.
3) Inauguration of New Foot Over Bridge at Tiruvottiyur Station (Tamil Nadu) The new Foot Over Bridge will provide access to the travelling public from both East side and West side of the station yard to reach platform Nos. 1 & 2/3 at Tiruvottiyur station. The project has been commissioned at a cost of Rs. 1.44 lakh.
4) Inauguration of new Booking Office at Western side of Guindy Station(Tamil Nadu)-
The Reservation cum booking office is newly constructed on the Western side of the Guindy Railway Station facing GST Road. The building has been constructed in an area 195 sq.mtr at the cost of Rs. 48.75 lakhs. Equipped with 7 ticket counters, both UTS and PRS tickets can be booked here.
5) Inauguration of 2 Escalators at Chepauk station (Tamil Nadu) on PF No.1 & 2-
Two nos. of passenger escalators have been commissioned at Chepauk Railway station in place of old defective escalators to platform no.1 and platform no.2. The cost of the Project isRs. 1.36 Crore. Being elevated stations in MRTS section, these escalators facilitate the easy movement of passengers especially senior citizens.
6) Dedication to the Nation – Hi-Speed Wi-Fi facility at Chengalpattu Jn station (Tamil Nadu)-
High speed Wi-Fi commissioned by RCIL in collaboration with Google will cover all the 6 platforms, circulating area and VIP lounge at Chengalpattu Jn. Each access point has the capacity to cater about 200 – 250 subscribers at a time.
7) Dedication to the Nation - Hi-speed Wi-Fi facility, Information Centre and CCTV Cameras at Katpadi Jn station (Tamil Nadu). ● CCTV surveillance camera at Katpadi Railway station Surveillance camera system has been installed at Katpadiwith total 42 No of IP based digital cameras monitored centrally in the control room manned by RPF personnel. Installed at a cost of Rs.1.2cr, these cameras will help check the crimes against passengers in the station premises. ● Information Centre at Katpadi Railway Station Information centre at Katpadi station brings all the different type of passenger information facilities under one roofthrough which data can be fed to all the information boards. It is setup with one number of PC based announcement and information display system and NTES terminal. The centre is provided at a cost of Rs. 33.6 lakh. ● Wi-Fi system at Katpadi Railway Station High speed Wi-Fi commissioned by RCIL in collaboration with Google covers all the 5 platforms of Katpadi station. Each access point has the capacity to cater about 200 – 250 subscribers at a time. 8) Dedication to the Nation -Food Plaza at Arakkonam Jn station (Tamil Nadu)-
To tickle the taste buds of customers with choicest delicacies, IRCTC has set up a Food Plaza at Arakkonam Jn in an area of 1752 sq.ft.
II. Tiruchchirappalli Junction (Tamil Nadu)
9) Dedication of APP BASED CAB SERVICES to the Nation :
APP BASED CAB SERVICES have been facilitated at Tiruchchirappalli first Entry in Unit II & III with anarea coverage of 210 sq.mt. with a total capacity of 20 cabs. Introduction of these services will give positive impact on Non Fare Revenue and will boost the image of Railways among travelling public.
10) A. Dedication of Parking Spaces at Tiruchchirappalli Junction (Tamil Nadu)
i) TPJ II Entry Premium Car Parking: An Exclusive area for car parking with an area coverage of 855 sq.mt. at Tiruchchirappalli Junction II Entry with 50 cars parking capacity has been provided. ii) TPJ I Entry Premium Two Wheeler Parking: A New Premium Two Wheeler Parking with a huge area coverage of 9000 sq.mt. at Tiruchchirappalli Junction I Entry, exclusively earmarked for Two Wheeler Parking with a total capacity of 5000 Two Wheelers has been facilitated.
iii) TPJ I Entry Car Parking The New Car Parking at Tiruchchirappalli I Entry with an area coverage of 895.5 sq.mt. with the total car parking capacity of 58 cars has been provided.
B. Dedication of Parking Spaces at Tiruchchirappalli Fort Railway Station (Tamil Nadu)
A new parking space with an area coverage of 1965 sq.mt.for exclusive purpose of parking of four wheelers with a total capacity of 100 cars has been provided. A new vast 9000 sq.mt. area for the purpose of parking of Two Wheelers and Four Wheelers with total capacity of 2500 Two Wheelers and 250 cars has also been facilitated.
C, Dedication of Parking Space at Mannargudi Railway Station (Tamil Nadu) A New parking area for the purpose of parking of Two Wheelers and Four Wheelers with an area coverage of 4292 sq.mt. with total parking capacity of 1500 Two Wheelers and 125 Cars has been provided.
D. Dedication of Parking Space at Papanasam Railway Station (Tamil Nadu) A New Parking area for the purpose of parking of Two Wheelers and Four Wheelers with an area coverage of 2500 sq.mt.with total parking capacity of 750 Two Wheelers and 50 cars has been facilitated.
III.Madurai Junction Railway Station (Tamil Nadu)
11) Dedication of doubling between Manapparai-Kalpattichatram section (23km) As part of Villupuram – Dindigul doubling project, doubling between Manapparai-Kalpattichatram section (23km) has been completed and commissioned for traffic.
12) Dedication of 5 Limited use Subways in lieu of LC gates To ease traffic congestion and to minimise trespassing accidents, 5 Limited Use Subways were constructed in lieu of LC gates in Madurai Division. This will provide safer access to railway stations also.
13) Dedication of 3 Foot Over Bridges at Sholavandan, Ambaturai and Samayanallur stations Foot Over Bridges constructed at Sholavandan, Ambaturai and Samayanallur stations will immensely benefit commuters as they can reach their Platforms and entry/exit points easily.
IV. Salem Junction Railway Station (Tamil Nadu)
14) Dedication of New VIP Lounge at Salem Jn
To receive and host the VIPs visiting Salem Junction, the new VIP Lounge is being located at PF No.1 near the main concourse area. This air conditioned VIP Lounge will serve the VIPs/Dignitaries arriving at/departing from Salem Junction, round the clock. This lounge has a seating capacity of 12 persons and has been provided with an attached toilet facility.
15) Dedication of extension of Foot Over Bridge to the second entry of Salem Junction
The western side of the Salem Junction is being developed to decongest the junction premises, by shifting major functions there, since sufficient space is available on the other side. With a view to facilitate passengers reach the second entry, the present FOB that was so far connecting PF No. 1, 3/4, and 5 has been extended to the second entry of Salem Junction, at a cost of Rs.1 crore (approximately). This will assist development of second entry to Salem Junction.
16) Dedication of Footover Bridge at Samalpatti Station :
Samalpatti Station in the Jolarpet-Salem Section is one of the important stations in Salem Division, with stoppage of 5 express trains and 6 passenger trains. Earlier, passengers were using the trolley path at the end to reach PF No.2, from PF 1 and vice versa. With a view to assist passengers reach PF No.2 safely and comfortably, a new FOB has been constructed in Samalpatti, at a cost of Rs.1 crore (approximately).
V. Trivandrum Central Railway Station (Kerala)
1) Dedication of AC Paid waiting Rooms with Kudumbasree
AC Paid waiting room at Trivandrum Central with seating capacity of 48 passengers has been set up in association with Kudumbashree, an all women Self Help Group under Govt. of Kerala. At Kollam station also the facility is manned by Kudumbashree and the hall has a seating capacity of 40. A mini library, TV, washrooms and a kids play zone are additional features of these AC waiting hall. A reasonable entry fee of Rs.25/hour is charged
2) Dedication of FOB at Kochuveli (Kerala)
A Foot Over Bridge at Kochuveli would alleviate the difficulty of commuters as they can access Platforms as well as both entries of the station. The FOB, constructed at a cost Rs-2.5 crore, is the longest one in Kerala.
3) Dedication of 10 Concrete Benches at Kollam Funded By Shri Suresh Gopi, MP(RS) through MPLAD at a cost of Rs-1 Lakh, 10 concrete benches are provided at Kollam Jn.
VI. Ernakulam Junction Railway Station (Kerala)
4) Dedication of Double Line between Tiruvalla – Changansseri- Work on double line between Tiruvalla-Changanasseri section of 7.94 km length completed and Line commissioned on 28-03-17. Two additional Lines with full rake unloading facility and a platform with 26 coach capacity was also commissioned along with the work at Tiruvalla.
5) Inauguration of Passenger lifts at Chengannur - Lifts are provided to assist the people with disability, the elderly, the women and the children among others. In addition, installation of Lifts at Railway Stations, Platforms will help to boost the image of Railways in public eye and Railways commitment to valuable Rail users.
6) Inauguration of Passenger lifts at Ernakulam Jn- A lift has been commissioned at PF No.1 and at Ernakulam Jn, 2 lifts have been commissioned, at PF1 and PF2/3. Ernakulam and Chengannur lisfts are commissioned at estimated cost of 37 lakhs.
7) Dedication of Water Vending Machines at Tiruvananthapuram Division- Taking forward the Railways’ mission to provide clean drinking water at stations IRCTCis installing water vending machines at Aluva, Ernakulam Jn, Ernakulam Town.
VII. Kannur Railway Station (Kerala)
8) Dedication of 2 Passenger Lifts at Kannur Railway station To facilitate easy access to Platform No.1 and 2/3 at Kannur station, 2 passenger lifts have been installed. This will benefit differently-abled, sick and senior citizens.
Disclaimer: This website has NO affiliation with the Government-run site of Indian Railways. This site does NOT claim 100% accuracy of fast-changing Rail Information. YOU are responsible for independently confirming the validity of information through other sources.